Welcome to our little world!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope to update daily to give you a little peek into our lives. We are so blessed and look forward to sharing a little piece of us....

I find so much peace in the fact that Jesus NEVER changes - He is ALWAYS the same & He loves each and every one of us unconditionally and more than we can even imagine!

You can pause the music if you just don't feel like listening to it and you can click on any picture to see it larger!

Ooo - and excuse the typos - it's just not me to care if I spell or punctuate right! Ha!!!

Ask me about this months specials!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Colon Cancer

UPDATE: The surgeon said that the cells they got are non-cancerous BUT they think something is going on deeper inside and want to do a different type of scan, so here we go again. My poor sister. This is what happened before. I just wish we knew something today. So - next step - get the scan scheduled - which they said could take a couple weeks.....uggg...the waiting game.


This is something that has invaded my family. My Grandma, my mom and my sister have all had it. I know your next question - what about me? Well, I can happily say that last year I voluntarily was tested and have no signs. I honestly think I take after my Dad's side of the family more anyways - so praying the free & clear stays that way for me.
Today, I am asking for prayer:
For my sister Karren. Back in 2006 my sister had colon cancer and went thru surgery & then 6 months of intense chemo with a projected chance of surviving of like 30% even with the chemo. Since then, she has had to have a colonoscopy every 6 months - well, her last one has come back not good & her biopsy was done. She meets this afternoon to get the results. She had said that they had said that they didn't think it was cancer but we're concerned on why the biopsy & why have her come in to "go over the results" if it's not bad news. So - please pray for her - for the doctors - for her husband Roger & her kids William & Shelby - whatever the outcome is, I know God is in control. Just give them peace.
The next - my 93 year old Grandma just was released from the hospital last night - she has rectal bleeding. My Grandma also had colon cancer about 10 years ago - she had it removed, never had chemo - her's wasn't as advanced like my sisters. Well, it may be back but are not going to test. Being that she is the age she is, my mom has chosen that if she does have it, she would not have her put through surgery or chemo.
Here is a little bit of information I found HERE just to share with you all regarding Colon Caner.

Colon cancer is the second most common cancer in the USA currently attacking one in twenty adults. That means that there is a one in ten chance that you or your spouse will become afflicted with it if the overall incidence is not decreased by pre-emptive intervention. With early detection by screening colonoscopy this cancer is extremely preventable because it almost always begins in the dysplastic tissue of an adenomatous polyp which may be present in the colon for months or even years before actual cancer develops. In early stages, when we really have the best chance of preventing it, there are no symptoms. That is why the American Cancer Society recommends that all Americans over the age of 50 be screened for colon cancer even if they feel fine. If unbeknownst polyps are found and removed before they become malignant, cancer is almost always prevented. When polyps are removed, a repeat colonoscopy, looking for new polyps is recommended in 3-5 years, depending on size, histology, and the number of polyps. If no polyps are found, a repeat colonoscopy isn’t needed for 10 years, unless you are at high risk, because of colon cancer in your family.

Let me add that my sister was just 43 when hers was found - and it wasn't just polyps.

1 comment: